This easy keto birthday cake is a low carb twist on the classic vanilla birthday cake! Made with almond flour and coconut flour, this moist and fluffy cake is the BEST low carb birthday cake recipe! 2 grams net carbs per LARGE slice.
Keto Vanilla Cake
When it comes to birthdays, we have a few keto birthday desserts on rotation. Our favorites are keto brownies, keto chocolate cheesecake and now, this easy keto birthday cake.
I’ve been meaning to make a keto friendly birthday cake for ages now. I keep putting it off, but with my birthday fast approaching, I wanted to do something special and have my cake, and making it keto too.
No grains, no sugar, and no dairy whatsoever, but you’d never tell. I served this with all my non-keto friends and NO one knew it was low carb and sugar free. In fact, several of them have requested it for THEIR birthdays!
Ingredients for a Birthday Keto Cake
Here is what you will need for this easy keto birthday cake. Please avoid substituting any of the ingredients, unless specifically stated. For such a fancy looking birthday cake, you’ll love this simple and easy ingredient list.
Keto Birthday Cake Ingredients
- Almond Flour– You must use blanched almond flour, otherwise the cake will be darker and denser. Blanched almond flour is often called superfine almond flour.
- Coconut Flour– Works with the almond flour to produce a super fluffy and moist cake. DO NOT omit this or substitute this for something else.
- Baking Powder– Leavens out the cake and helps it rise.
- Salt– Brings out the sweetness of the cake.
- Butter– I used vegan butter, to keep it dairy free. If you use vegan butter, try to use the stick variety (not spreadable) as it doesn’t have any added water or fillers on it.
- Sugar Substitute– You can use either monk fruit sweetener or erythritol. I prefer using monk fruit as it is most similar to white sugar.
- Eggs– Use room temperature eggs, not refrigerated.
- Milk of choice– Almond milk, coconut milk, cashew milk, etc. All will work.
- Vanilla extract– A MUST for any cake or baked food recipe.
How to make a keto birthday cake
- This ingredient amounts provided for this low carb birthday cake recipe is to make a layer cake. If you’d like to make a single cake, simply halve the ingredients!
- Start by greasing two 8-inch cake pans and set aside. Next, combine your dry ingredients into a large mixing bowl and mix until combined.
- In a separate bowl or in a stand mixer, add your sugar substitute with butter. Beat together the two ingredients until creamy and fluffy. This usually takes around 8 minutes. Continue mixing while adding the eggs in, one at a time. Next, add the milk and vanilla extract and beat it into the batter. Finally, add in the dry mixture and beat all together until creamy.
- Finally, you’ll transfer the keto vanilla cake batter evenly amongst the two cake pans. Bake the cakes for 22-25 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean. Allow the cakes to cool completely, before frosting them and layering them up.
Any vanilla or white frosting will work, or you can even go the chocolate route. Here are a few other ideas-
- Cream cheese frosting– Use any cream cheese frosting of your choice. Be sure to use dairy free cream cheese to keep it vegan!
- Cashew cream cheese frosting– My go-to frosting. It’s a little more time consuming but it’s so creamy, thick and rich!
- Whipped coconut cream– Simple and delicious!
So prepare this delicious keto birthday cake and enjoy!